The 18th Century Christmas event begins with a “roll call”, summoning re-enactment soldiers to their posts just as it would have been done 250 years ago. Throughout the day, living history re-enactors will go about their garrison duties, while taking time to interact with visitors. Demonstrations of both crafts and skills also will be conducted, including cooking, laundering, blacksmithing and artillery drills. The daily schedule includes a Christmas church service, wassail tasting and a special candlelight tour of the fort. On this special occasion, the soldiers will perform a rare nighttime firing of the fort’s cannon.
If you have questions, please call the park office 423-884-6217.
Produced by Nolichucky Pictures, a cinematic media company based in Knoxville, who began filming the documentary in August 2010 with Buck Kahler, Chris Albrecht, Debra Dylan and the documentary’s cast and crew of 198 volunteers, including five scholars and two educational consultants. The documentary’s title derives from a quote attributed to Captain Paul Demere, commander of Fort Loudoun at the time of the surrender of the fort.
A 30-minute version of the documentary will be broadcast on East Tennessee PBS in early August. At that time, a DVD of the documentary and a special feature about the archaeology of Fort Loudoun and the Tellico Reservoir Project will be available for purchase. The documentary is made possible by Pellissippi State Community College, Humanities Tennessee, Nolichucky Pictures, East Tennessee PBS and the Fort Loudoun Association.
Prior to this new documentary, The Fort Loudoun Story debuted at the visitor center in the fall of 2004. Buck Kahler and Chris Albrecht also produced this documentary, which won awards from the Tennessee Association of Museums and the Oak Ridge Film Festival. The 2004 film was a welcome update to an dated audiovisual program that had been shown at the visitor center since 1983.
Fort Loudoun State Historic Area is a 1,200-acre site on the location of one of the earliest British fortifications on the western frontier, built in 1756. Nearby were the principal towns of the Cherokee Nation including Tenase, namesake of our state, and Tuskegee, birthplace of Sequoyah. Today the fort and the 1794 Tellico Blockhouse overlook TVA’s Tellico Reservoir and the Appalachian Mountains and are located one mile off Highway 411 on Highway 360 in Vonore.
For more information about the park or a complete schedule of events for the Living History Program 2013, please contact the Fort Loudoun State Historic Area office at 423-884-6217.
Fort Loudoun staff are excited to have the ability to offer their award-winning educational programs to students of all ages. Participants in the program will see parts of the reconstructed fort, witness demonstrations of the soldiers’ equipment and interact with interpretive staff dressed in period attire. Teachers also have the ability to introduce students to the complex diplomatic relationships between the English and Native people of the Southeastern U.S., using the story of Fort Loudoun. Students and educators will learn about the different people who lived at the fort during its four-year existence and the life of the solider in the king’s service during the French and Indian War. To participate or for further information, visit the Skype in the Classroom website at the park’s Skype in the Classroom partner page, or contact the park at 423-884-6217, or firstname.lastname@example.org.